When I travel, I like to dine where the locals do. Naturally, I wanted to eat and drink in Door County like a local foodie would.
So, I researched Door County before my trip. I had read about Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant, known for its Swedish meatballs and goats on the roof. There was also quite a bit of coverage for Wilson’s Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor, a vintage soda fountain. I drove past both during my trip, and they seem like unique, fun, and kitschy establishments that many vacationers have and will continue to enjoy.
If you are planning a trip to Wisconsin’s Door County, let me assure you, there is so much more to the dining scene!
Arriving in Door County, I just started asking locals where I should eat and drink, and a magical thing happened. Wherever I went, I met foodies full of suggestions. I was often interviewing a business owner who would start raving about another eatery in town.
Based on the locals’ suggestions, I had eight fabulous culinary experiences, which you can read all about in this blog post. I actually accumulated more recommendations than I could possibly fit into my two-day itinerary. So, I decided to share all this wonderful advice from Door County’s resident foodies about where to eat and drink like a local.
Beer, Cider & Wine
- Door County Brewing Company — Taste a flight of local craft beer at this brewery in Baileys Harbor! — Recommended by Door County Creamery
- Island Orchard Cider — Try the hard ciders created from apples grown on Washington Island at the Ellison Bay tasting room! — Recommended by Door County Creamery
- Stone’s Throw Winery — Taste wines made from California grapes and play bocce ball at this beautiful winery at the intersection of county roads A and E! — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
- Lautenbach’s Orchard Country Winery & Market — Take a winery tour, pick your own cherries (July-early August) or apples (September-October), taste wines, and shop for specialty food items in Fish Creek. Get some cherry juice! — Recommended by Door County Creamery
- Wood Orchard Market — Pick up fresh cherries (July to August) or apples (fall), cherry or apple doughnuts, cherry strudel, pies, breads and more! — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
- Waterfront Restaurant — Fine dining establishment, located along the Green Bay shore in Sister Bay, serving a seasonal menu of fresh seafood, steak, and tapas (Wednesday nights at the bar). — Recommended by Door County Creamery
- Wickman House — Fantastic cocktails and a farm-to-table menu with ingredients sourced from local producers in a beautiful white house on a sprawling property that seems tucked away like a true hidden gem. — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours and my Airbnb hosts
Dining With A View
- Top Deck Restaurant & Bar — Located at Gordon Lodge in Baileys Harbor, this restaurant offers a beautiful view. — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours
- Base Camp — Vegetarian menu, coffee drinks and pastries at this Sister Bay cafe! — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours and my Airbnb hosts
- Bier Zot — European-inspired menu with a fine selection of Belgian and craft beer at this Sister Bay eatery! — Recommended by Wickman House and my Airbnb hosts
- Door County Creamery — Say hello to the little goats in the pen beside the creamery, then sample some cheese, grab a sandwich and bottle of wine for under $20 or a local craft beer, and finish off your mouthwatering meal with goat-milk gelato at this adorable eatery and cheese shop in Sister Bay! — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours and my Airbnb hosts
- JJ’s and LaPuerta Restaurant — Voted Door County’s best Mexican restaurant and best margaritas, this Sister Bay eatery has convenient docking for boaters. — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
- Wild Tomato — With locations in Fish Creek and Sister Bay, this family-friendly eatery offers delicious wood-fired pizzas. — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
- Good Eggs — A breakfast cabana serving made-to-order breakfast burritos in Ephraim. Local tip: Download the restaurant’s app to order your breakfast for faster pick-up! — Recommended by Stone’s Throw Winery
- Blue Horse Beach Cafe — Serving breakfast, light lunch fare, and coffee in Fish Creek. — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours
- Bearded Heart Coffee — This Baileys Harbor coffee shop serves lattes, espresso, tea, and more. The lavender and “burnt goat” lattes sound interesting! — Recommended by Wickman House
- Door County Coffee & Tea Company — Family-owned artisan coffee roaster located between Sturgeon Bay and Egg Harbor. Great spot to pick up coffee beans/grounds to take home! — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
Dessert & Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chicken — Coffee, ice cream, chocolates, and fudge at this Egg Harbor cafe! — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours
- Door County Ice Cream Factory & Sandwich Shoppe — This Sister Bay ice cream shop makes its own ice cream in 45 flavors. Usually there are 29 flavors available for your choosing! — Recommended by my Airbnb hosts
- Grumpy’s — Ice cream, popcorn, fudge, and root beer in Egg Harbor. Try a root beer float! — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours
- Not Licked Yet — Frozen custard in Fish Creek with a special flavor each day! — Recommended by Door County Kayak Tours
Save this to Pinterest for future vacation planning!
If you liked this post about where Door County foodies dine, you might also like:
- Eight Must-Have Culinary Experiences in Door County — I share all eight of the delicious stops for food and drink I made throughout a weekend in Wisconsin’s charming Door County.
- Kayaking Lake Michigan Caves in Wisconsin’s Door County — With Door County Kayak Tours, I kayaked the Lake Michigan shoreline and into caves you can only see by kayak. In the post, I share what you need to bring kayaking and more tips for your kayaking adventure.
- Five Reasons To Book Your Trip To Madison, Wisconsin — Why visit this Midwestern college town and Wisconsin state capital? For one thing — cheese curds. Read the post for reasons 2-5!
- Wisconsin’s Great River Road — Explore Wisconsin’s small towns along the Great River Road and the mighty Mississippi River!
- All Aboard The High-Speed Ferry Crossing Lake Michigan–Traveling between Michigan and Wisconsin? In this post, I share the costs and benefits of taking the Lake Express high-speed ferry between Milwaukee and Muskegon, Michigan.
Where are your favorite places to eat and drink in Door County?