Travelers have several options when booking luxury accommodations in Minneapolis, but I recommend the Commons Hotel for its unique blend of geek and chic.
Located on the University of Minnesota campus, the hotel plays up its collegiate locale. From the lobby’s molecular chandeliers to the guest rooms’ argyle-print walls, the scholastic theme is carried throughout the hotel.
With both upscale comfort and notable nods to its scholarly setting, I felt like I was staying in a classy yet modern, hip and trendy boarding school dormitory. All the fun and social atmosphere of a residence hall’s common room — without the academic responsibility!
Geek + Chic = The Commons Hotel
Walking into the hotel, I immediately noticed the beautiful brown leather chesterfield sofa surrounding a flickering fire. The library-like setting seemed to invite guests to sit, socialize, and relax with a good book.
Design elements throughout the hotel reflect both its university campus location and the industrial history of Minneapolis. Just behind the reception desk, shelves full of globes and a framed blueprint decorate the exposed brick wall.
Above the lobby, molecular chandeliers provide a warm yellow glow.
Throughout the expansive lobby, guests lounge on the chesterfield sofas or in cozy armchairs custom designed with local street names.
Stylish rooms provide plush comfort
During my visit, my friend Abby, of WanderLost Travels, and I stayed in a deluxe guestroom outfitted with two double beds with beautiful leather headboards. With a plush mattress, cushy pillows, and soft linens, my bed was so cozy and comfortable.
Photos from the University of Minnesota’s archive adorned the wall of our room above the desk. All of the guestrooms have complimentary Wi-Fi, so scholars and business travelers can work in their rooms.
In the bathroom, products with aromatherapy blends of essential oils in vintage-pharmacy bottles are provided. The Green Tea & Willow shampoo had a refreshing fragrance. It was perfect for a relaxing shower under a rainfall showerhead.
I loved finding all the industrial and academic details throughout the hotel. Each room number is featured with an invention’s blueprint design. Pretty cool, huh?
Dining at Beacon Public House
While staying at the Commons Hotel, I dined twice at Beacon. The farm-to-table gastropub serves elevated regional comfort food and classic cocktails updated with a modern twist.
The smoked bacon club sandwich looks mouthwatering, right? I stole a few of the truffle Parmesan fries, and they were fantastic.
For my lunch, I ordered the soup served that day — apple chicken — and the Beacon mac & two cheeses with BBQ chicken, white cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and topped with bread crumbs. It was so comforting on a drizzly spring day.
I especially liked that the menu featured regional ingredients and products such as Milwaukee-based Rishi’s organic teas. I really enjoyed the berry flavor of the Rishi Blueberry Hibiscus caffeine-free tea. I liked it so much that I ordered it again at breakfast the following morning!
Breakfast at Beacon is absolutely delish! I started with a bowl of fresh fruit, and then I had fluffy pancakes topped with fresh berries and served with whipped cream and maple syrup on the side.
Near The Commons Hotel
Conveniently located for visiting the Twin Cities, the Commons Hotel is about a 25-30 minute drive from Minneapolis – St. Paul International Airport (MSP) and Mall of America. Guests attending a concert or football game at TCF Stadium will find the hotel’s proximity extremely convenient. The hotel is also only a short drive from downtown Minneapolis.
The hotel is located across the street from the East Bank station on the METRO System’s green line. During my stay, I drove my own vehicle or used Uber to get around.
- Get your first Uber ride free! Just go to my invitation on Uber’s website and make sure you see my promo code: erink388. The value may vary by city, but usually the value is up to $20!
The Commons Hotel: What You Need To Know
- Deluxe and superior guestrooms are available with one king, two queen, or two double beds.
- Each guestroom is equipped with a small refrigerator, an iHome clock radio with iPod docking station, LCD TV with Pay Per View, a single-cup coffee maker with Caribou Coffee, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Superior rooms also have a loveseat or two plush leather chairs.
- Want more space? One-bedroom suites are available, too!
- Eight guestrooms are accessible for guests with disabilities, and TTY-TTD devices are available.
- Pets are welcome! Furry guests will have argyle-patterned pet beds and bowls, geek-chic goodies, and in-room doogie-dining options delivered by the Bark Butler.
- Discounts available: AAA and AARP
- Add value to your stay with a Club Alchemy membership! Read more about the fabulous benefits here.
- Parking: Valet and self-parking
- On-site Dining: In-room dining available | Beacon Public House | Applebee’s | Starbucks — The second busiest Starbucks on a college campus!
- Beacon Public House Menus: Breakfast | Brunch | Lunch | Dinner | Drinks | Happy Hour
- Make your reservation at Beacon Public House now!
- Are you a foodie looking for something to do while visiting Minneapolis? I highly recommend the Twin Cities Food Tour I took in Northeast Minneapolis.
- Ready to plan your itinerary? My Minnesota board on Pinterest is full of fantastic resources!
- Check for available rooms now on TripAdvisor!
- Contact The Commons Hotel: 615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 | (612) 379-8888
Save this post to Pinterest for future reference!
Would your geek or chic side want to stay at The Commons Hotel?
Disclosure: I would like to thank the Commons Hotel for hosting me overnight and for two meals at Beacon. This post also contains affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own.